[nv-l] Netview icon representation of a host with two ethernet adapters.

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: [nv-l] Netview icon representation of a host with two ethernet adapters.
From: "Yang, Peter" <peter.yang@lmco.com>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 08:54:08 -0400
 Can anyone provides some explanation on following observation ? Thanks.

   I have 5 computers and one of them is installed with Netview 6.0.

   Every computer has two ethernet adapters.  Say 192.1.1.1  and 192.2.1.1.
Each ethernet LAN is connected with a separate Cisco switch.

  Each computer has a single hostname ( say  wsa1, wsa2,wsa3,wsa4,,,,,,,).

  But my  /etc/hosts is listed like below and we use loadhosts command to
preload Netview map using /etc/hosts as input .

sample listing:

wsa1   192.1.1.1
wsa2   192.1.1.2
wsb1   192.2.1.1                      <<<<< same computer as   wsa1
192.1.1.1
wsb2   192.2.1.2

  On my Netview's IP segment map, I have two icons, one is 192.1.1 and the
second icon is 192.2.1.

 But the computer icon's label  under each IP segment map are identical such
as "wsa1" for both  IP segment maps  instead of observing "wsa1" on ip map
192.1.1  and  "wsb1"  on 192.2.1.

 This makes sense to me because I have only one single host name such as
wsa1 on this computer ( en0=192.1.1.1,  and  en1=192.2.1.1) and Netview
discovers it by deman poll ( or other magic). Netview seems not to care if I
used loadhosts to preload it with different hostname for each ethernet
interface adapter such as
wsa1  for 192.1.1.1  and wsb1  for 192.2.1.1  for the same computer.

But if a computer does not exist on the network ( such  wsa99 for 192.1.1.99
or wsb99 for 192.2.1.99) while we preload it , we observe a red icon on each
IP map with different label such as wsa99 and wsb99.

 Is any explanation why my netview behaves this way ?  Thanks