Re: [nv-l] OID for isRouter

Subject: Re: [nv-l] OID for isRouter
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 16:25:11 +0100
Chris,
There seems to be a spot of confusion here.  OIDs are SNMP "identifiers", for
example 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1 is the SNMP MIB-2 variable representing system
description.

isRouter is an attribute in the NetView object database.  NetView attributes are
generally set based on answers to SNMP queries but there isn't necessarily
always a direct link between SNMP OIDs and NetView attributes.

You could create a SmartSet with 2 criteria.  The first would be the NetView
isRouter attribute equal to TRUE; the second part of your SmartSet definition
could be "SNMP sysObjectId ~ 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.*" .  This second part says to look
in the NetView object database for this field (which will have been populated by
an earlier SNMP poll).  Any Object Id that starts 1.3.6.1.4.1.9 is Cisco.  "AND"
these 2 definitions together and you should get all Cisco routers.

If you are trying to get a report on these devices, you could use similar
definitions in an nvdbformat file.  Or create the SmartSet as above and simply
use "nvUtil L <SmartSet> " to get a list - depends on what you are trying to
achieve?

Cheers, Jane