[nv-l] ruleset problem : Interface UP / Node UP

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: [nv-l] ruleset problem : Interface UP / Node UP
From: "Francois Le Hir/Quebec/IBM" <flehir@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 18:15:14 -0400
Hi list,

I am trying to write a ruleset to accomplish the following:
- if we receive an Interface Down and then an Interface Up trap for the
same device: both trap are resolved
- if we receive an Node Down and then an Node Up trap for the same device:
both trap are resolved
- if we receive an Interface Down and then a Node Down for the same device:
the interface down is resolved and only the Node Down trap appear in the
event viewer.
- if we receive an Interface Up and then a Node Up for the same device: the
interface Up is resolved and only the Node Up trap appear in the event
viewer.

For the two first items it's very easy to accomplish with a "Pass on match"
and a resolve.
However, the resolve function remove both trap and for the "Interface
Up"/"Node Up" trap, I want the most "global" one (Node Up) to stay in the
event viewer and only the "Interface Up" to be resolved.

How am I supposed to accomplish that ?
I tried with a second "trap setting" after the "Pass on match" but it
doesn't seams to work the way I want. I would even say that the result is
inconsistent because from time to time, some of the events I generate don't
go through at all. I am using different event viewer to compare between
"forwardall" and my ruleset.

Here is my ruleset:
(See attached file: ruleset.rc)

Did some of you have more success to accomplish the same or similar ?

Thanks
Regards,

Francois Le Hir
Network Projects & Consulting Services