RE: [nv-l] nvpage

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] nvpage
From: jshanks@us.ibm.com
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 16:56:16 -0400
Hmmm.  I think that 2400 baud is probably good choice for many of the
newer modems, which don't seem to like the old, slower speeds.  But I ran
my old US Robotics Sportster 14.4 using the newhayes.modem settings just
fine.   In any case, the problem description doesn't sound to me like it
has anything to do with the modem settings.

nvpagerd is very success-oriented.  He does his best to keep trying a page
until it succeeds.   Under some circumstances, if you use a script or a
ruleset to kick off the pages, and one of the userid's has a bad pin
number or there is a bad phone number in the carriers file, then when
nvpagerd gets to that page, he will try it over and over again until the
default retries are exceeded.  Then he will put it back in the paging
queue and go on to the next one.  This will occur until that bad page is
only one left in the queue, and then he will try it again, it will fail,
he'll put it back in the queue and try it again.  This can occur many
times before nvpagerd finally gives up, depending on how it is configured.
 If recycling the daemons, cures the problem then that probably means that
your are not using the warm start option, so the old stuff in the queue is
ignored.

Check your configuration parameters and the method you use to trigger the
pages.  If they all look OK, then run nvpagerd with the "-d" option so
that it traces what's going on and when this behavior occurs you can see
what really happened.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Barr, Scott" <Scott_Barr@csgsystems.com>
06/27/2002 04:11 PM