Re: [nv-l] trapgend setup

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] trapgend setup
From: jshanks@us.ibm.com
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 10:29:47 -0400
Ray -

Your procedure is basically correct.

For any AIX system, you can obtain the errpt identifiers in use by issuing
        errpt -t
which gives you the current list of error templates, as they are called.
Be careful to check that they are the same on each server.  When AIX wants
to add more information to a template they just create a new one and issue
that rather than alter the old one. The numbers for CORE_DUMP , for
example, have changed between AIX 3.2.5, AIX 4.1, and AIX 4.3.3.  Each
version of the OS add more information to the record, so each one issues a
different template , with a different number, for the same condition.

Once you have a list of templates you want trapgend to alert on , you must
make them alertable.  To see which ones are already, you would issue:
        errpt -tF alert=1
If you have more than what are there already, you must tell AIX to add the
ones you want.
For example, if you wanted to have OPMSG (the errlogger command result) be
alertable, then you would get its number AA8AB241 from errpt -t, and then
type in:
     errupdate       (press enter)
     = AA8AB241:     (press enter)
     Alert=TRUE      (press enter; then  either continue with " = <the
next number>:" or ctrl-d ctrl-d to quit.
Now AIX will notify trapgend when these errors are generated.  trapgend in
turn will send them as traps.

Finally, you would convert their hex error ids (e.g AA8AB241) to decimal
(2861216321)  and define those as specific trap ids under the NetView
subagent enterprise id (1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.4)  using xnmtrap on your NetView
box.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Westphal, Raymond" <RWestphal@erac.com>
06/27/2002 04:17 PM