Re: [nv-l] Tivoli NetView - detecting flapping/flakey links

To: "Donald Mahler" <dmahler@telcordia.com>
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Tivoli NetView - detecting flapping/flakey links
From: reamd@Nationwide.com
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 12:53:17 -0400
Cc: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Configure network device with snmp and forward traps to netview..

                          "Donald Mahler"

                          <dmahler@telcordia.com>  To:   nv-l@lists.tivoli.com

                                                   cc:

                                                   bcc:

                                                   Subject:
                     [nv-l] Tivoli NetView -
                                                   detecting flapping/flakey
links
                          07/11/2002 11:18 AM

1) We had a problem the other day in which we did not detect a degrading
link until the customer did (not good).    The problem was that link was
degrading... starting to fail... ..   Our snmp intf polls of the router did
not see the link drop, and netview pings to the remote side did not fail
either.   Now these netmon do a fair amount of retries, and if at least one
works, then netview does not alert.    But.... if a ping only works once
out of 5 retries, for a few hours, reason tells you that something is
wrong... sigh... this knowledge is buried within netmon I suppose... and
there is no external "polling log"....  How do others detect this sort of
brownout condition?

2) Also, we do not tend to dispatch people in the middle of the night if a
link does down for under 1 minute.  But if a link is down/up, down/up,
down/up, down/up,  all the night long, we would like to be able to
recognize this condition .   Any way to have netview detect this flapping?
or do I have to code this into TEC?

3) or....perhaps I just need to make sure that we are trending and alerting
on iferrors and the like

anyways..... any and all comments welcome

Don Mahler
SAIC