[nv-l] mibExpr and large values

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: [nv-l] mibExpr and large values
From: cfrantse@csc.com
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 13:26:14 +0200
Hi!

Im gathering some sysUpTime data to be able to find out if a node has been
down.

To be able to threshold the value I have to add it in mibExpr and make it
negative since a large value is good and a low value us bad.
This works great until I tried it on a few routers with an long uptime, 1½
year or so, the value gets collected and when the calculation in mibExpr is
made (<value> -1 *) I end up with a positive value.

Does anyone know of a limitation on how large values you can process in
mibExpr?

If I can't get this to work I'l have to configure a custom threshold event
and set it to "Don't Log or Display", and then configure a custom rearm
event that tells me when sysUpTime is <= <value>. This means the threshold
will always trigger but not be displayed and when it rearms it will raise
an alert, but that's not a very elegant solution :-)

Christian Frantsen
CSC, Computer Sciences Corporation
Jonkoping, Sweden

"I don't need to test my programs. I have an error-correcting modem."