RE: [nv-l] APAR IX60605 trap with Octect string exceeds 249 chara cter

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] APAR IX60605 trap with Octect string exceeds 249 chara cter
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 09:27:47 -0400
There is more going on than you think.  If you can see the trap in trapd's
log, then he is done with it.  Logging it is  the last thing he does, not
the first.  He has to pull the trap off the socket, decode the asn.1
elements in it, send it to all connected applications which register for
traps, and finally, log it.   So if you can see the result in trapd.log,
then trapd is already working on something else.

But the symptoms you describe, and the down-level code you have, match
those of someone sending an ill-formed trap, or perhaps something that is
not a trap at all, to trapd's socket, 162/udp.  Remember that a trap
starts out with x'30' followed by a length, and there is no theoretical
limit to that length.  If it just so happens that the next few bytes
define what looks like a very large length in asn.1 notation, then at the
level of code you have, trapd will pull that many bytes off his socket
before he starts decoding.  If the there are not that many there, then he
will wait until they accumulate.   So the result may be that trap
processing seems hung for quite a while.  That's one of the problems
identified, and addressed, in later versions of NetView by what are called
the CERT fixes,  IY28562, because they were prompted by CERT Advisory
CA-2002-03.   After you have these fixes applied, this kind of denial of
service should not happen.  But the fixes also introduce a limit of about
512 bytes per varbind.  This limit was set by IBM's internal security
experts and it conforms with recommendations made in other sources for
varbind size.  Prior to the fixes, trapd would accept much, much bugger
sizes.  Now it looks like this limit will have to be raised again, perhaps
to 1024, in future releases, because we are getting so much negative
feedback about it, mostly from vendors who never did any length-checking
when they sent traps.  The balancing act between security and service
(ease-of-use) is never-ending.

My final comment is about whatever tool you are using to look at APARs.
Try also to get the dates, the applicable releases, and the status (open,
closed).  Closed APARS are finished.  If they indicate a code change
(closing code PER - for "Programming ERror" ) , then that fix is already
part of the code shipped to customers after the date of closure.  If your
code is later than that, then you already have to fix.  That way you'll
avoid getting needlessly concerned about old problems.  It is only the
open ones that are still being worked on.  If you have questions about
them, then you should call Support.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Chan, Jack" <jack.chan@nz.unisys.com>
08/28/2002 07:25 PM