[nv-l] Off topic - dt on AIX 4.3.3 ML10

Subject: [nv-l] Off topic - dt on AIX 4.3.3 ML10
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 20:35:45 +0100
I am installing NV 7.1.2 on AIX 4.3.3 ML10.  NetView is fine (finally -
see second paragraph).  My problem is with creating basic AIX users.
I've done this with smit users - supply userid and take all the
defaults. Set a password.  Can login fine and do everything on a
terminal but if I logon to the console with this new user, all Desktop
functionality is broken and I get a message such as "Action
"ExitSession" was not found".  Can't even logoff so have to kill the
dtsession process.  I've done this hundreds of times before....
Everything is fine for root.  Any clues?????

The NetView install is a non-Framework one.  I ran into an initial
problem when running "instalnv -k SERVER".  I got the message "Trusted
host access from TMR server denied: check host name, /.rhosts, etc ".
The solution was to create /.rhosts for my machine, nvserver, with the
following line:
   nvserver root
I spent a while following the red herring of "TMR Server" before I
decided it was using rsh within the NetView box for the instalnv
process.

Cheers, Jane

Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565
Copyright (c) 2002 Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>.  All rights