[nv-l] Selection name on NV for Windows

Subject: [nv-l] Selection name on NV for Windows
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 18:24:47 +0100
NetView for Windows 7.1.2 on Win2K SP2.  I have 1 IP address in the
seedfile to discover a Compaq box.  This address is not in any DNS or in
NetView's hosts or lmhosts file.  The Compaq box is called BACKUP.  When
the node is discovered, the Selection Name is BACKUP.  A MIB Browse of
this box shows the sysName is BACKUP.  I can only deduce that NV for
Windows will believe the SNMP agent and uses that name in his database.

The problem arises when you select the node in NetView and try to ping
it, as BACKUP is not resolvable to an IP address.

I think I am sure ????  that NetView for Unix will only use DNS or
/etc/hosts to populate hostname and Selection Name fields, so you don't
see this conundrum.

Can anyone else confirm or deny what I am seeing?  Is this Windows
behaviour a bug?

Cheers,
Jane
Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565