Re: [nv-l] NetView limitation

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] NetView limitation
From: "Stephen Hochstetler" <shochste@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 18:04:52 -0500
It is not the number of systems you are monitoring that is the limitation.
Performance sizing NetView is tricky at its best.   We usually base numbers
on number of managed interfaces, or objects in the database.   The ratio
between these two numbers depends on your network design.   An average
would say that  for every interface there is 3 objects in the database.

Example:
If you have 1200 systems with an average of 2 interfaces per system, you
are managing 2400 interfaces or 7200 database objects.
If you have 1200 systems with an average of 20 interfaces per system, you
are managing 24000 interfaces or 72000 database objects.

I have heard of some customers running over 100,000 objects in their
database.   I have not heard of anyone running over 200,000.  It does not
mean that no one is, just I have not heard that it is being done.

As you grow your network, you will probably want to read the "Recommend
Hardware" configurations in the 7.1 release notes....  At least that is
where I think it is.    They have a small, medium, large configuration
recommendation.

Kind regards,
Stephen Hochstetler              shochste@us.ibm.com
International Technical Support Organization  - Austin
Office - 512-436-8564                      FAX - 512-436-9326

ITSO redbooks at  http://www.redbooks.ibm.com