[nv-l] Re: Netview graphs

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: [nv-l] Re: Netview graphs
From: cfrantse@csc.com
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 08:28:16 +0200
As todd said MRTG is an excellent tool, however the author of MRTG has made
a tool called RRDTool (www.rrdtool.org) that in my opinion is alot better
than MRTG.

This is just a database where you can put your collected data, the GUI and
collection part is up to the one using the product to create.
There exists alot of collection daemons and GUI's based on RRDTool, the one
that I found to be the best one, especially when you want to give customers
access to the graphs, is a webbased frontend called CACTI
(www.raxnet.net/products/cacti).

With this you can use your browser to manage just about everything that has
to do with RRDTool. One of the best parts is that you can create a group of
graphs and then give users rights (It comes with a builtin authentication
system) to view certain graphs or groups of graphs. So customer1 can login
via their favourite webbrowser and take a look at the graphs that is
assigned to them, but not the ones that are for customer2 etc.

As of now it gets a bit boring to add graphs if you have alot of
routers/interfaces to graph (ALOT of clicking :-)) this will be resolved in
the new version being developed where you can have graph templates that you
can assign to a router instead of making each graph by hand every time.

Christian Frantsen
CSC, Computer Sciences Corporation
Jonkoping, Sweden

"I don't need to test my programs. I have an error-correcting modem."