Re: [nv-l] SNMP on non-standard ports

Subject: Re: [nv-l] SNMP on non-standard ports
From: George deSocio <desocio@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 14:21:06 -0400

David,

-p designates the remote target agent's listen port.  The default is
configured in NetView's snmp configuration.  The snmp commands pull
configuration information from the NetView snmp configuration database.  In
all the snmp commands, -p is provided to override the remote target agent's
listen port, as are the other parameters, e.g., -c for community name.

You can aldo use -d (debug) on any of the snmp commands to see what and to
where it's being sent, although somewhat cryptic, in standard output.

Regards,
Geo.

George deSocio  desocio@us.ibm.com   919-224-1357
Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows Support, IBM Software Group

                      D T

<nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
                      m>                       cc:

                                               Subject:  [nv-l] SNMP on
non-standard ports
                      09/16/2002 11:18

                      AM

Running NetView 7.1.2 on Solaris8.

I am trying to run the snmpget and snmpset commands on non-standard ports.
I have been using the -p flag, for example:: snmpget -p 9100 -c public
testnode system.sysDescr.0 ::  to try to force this action, but I am having
no such luck.  Should I change the port in ovsnmp.conf_db?  Does this file
override the /etc/services file?  I believe both tell snmp to default to
port 161.  Thanks.

DT