Re: [nv-l] location.conf question

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] location.conf question
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 23:55:11 -0400
The documentation does not mean what you think it means.
The use of 0 just means that you MAY define a layer with
no networks in it. It is like a placeholder. I find it useful to
define the whole heirarchy at the top of the file using placeholders
followed by other records that define the addresses.

The use of the 0 network as a placeholder does not appear to use
any special programming, it is just handled as a regular network entry
for network 0.*.*.* ,  and in some networks, where there are unnumbered
interfaces, you could end up with unwanted zero networks in those
location submaps. I have had good luck using '255' as the
placeholder in those cases. I think the idea is just to choose a
non-existent network to act as a placeholder.

Detroit

                      "Qureshi, Fawad"

                      <Fawad.Qureshi@ss        To:       nv-l@lists.tivoli.com

                      a.gov>                   cc:

                                               Subject:  [nv-l] location.conf
question
                      09/20/2002 01:41

                      PM

Netview for AIX 7.1.1 - AIX 4.3.3

Hi all,

I have following statements in my location.conf:

BAROCC 0 City

BABackbone 0 Site3 BAROCC
BIBackbone 0 Site3 BIROCC
CHBackbone 0 Site3 CHROCC

BA-ROCC-10Nets  10.1.240.0      Site3   BABackbone
BA-ROCC-10Nets  10.1.32.0       Site3   BABackbone

BABackbone      10.108.0.0      City    BAROCC
BABackbone      10.108.112.0    City    BAROCC

Netveiw documentation tells me that if I use 0 in AddressPattern field (as
have in my symbol BABackbone), then no networks should exist under this
symbol. As can be seen from the above statements, I am specifying
10.108.0.0
and 10.108.112.0 networks under this symbol. This should not work if my
interpretation of the Netview documentation is correct. I am unable to
verify this as my map is almost unreadable and undecipherable. So my
questions are: Would this work? If not, can I replace the 0 in
AddressPattern with something else so I am able to specify networks as well
as sub-symbols / sub-containers? Thanks.

Cheers,

Fawad Qureshi
RSIS - DNE
410-965-4413