RE: [nv-l] No non-SNMP devices in database

To: McGuire Larry G <Larry.G.McGuire@irs.gov>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] No non-SNMP devices in database
From: john.j.mackney@accenture.com
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 10:05:26 +0100
Cc: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Larry,

This is where I'm at with discovery...

A discovery of non SNMP nodes (i.e. ICMP nodes) did happen over time. It
appears they are discovered using clues from the routing tables and ARP
caches of the routers. The systems that have not been discovered seem
mostly to suffer from incorrect or missing DNS entries. I think it is safe
to say that if a node has an IP address that responds to a ping, has a
correct DNS entry and is not excluded from or limited by an entry in the
netmon.seed file, NetView will eventually discover it. (Note if a node is
excluded in netmon.seed, netmon will discover it - but throw it away. The
reply from James Shanks also helped me to understand that a range in the
netmon.seed file limits discovery by telling netmon that if it finds any
node outside a range - it should also throw it away).

Sometimes things can be speeded along by actively routing traffic to the
node from your NetView server (i.e. send a long succession of pings to it)

After a couple of days of discovery, I intend to dump the db using
ovtopodump, and import the resulting data into a spreadsheet  for
comparison with various lists I have obtained from network and system
managers (most companies usually have a spreadsheet for IP address
allocation). My strategy now is to create a production copy of netmon.seed
(to prevent netmon from trying to re-discover everything) then add missing
node's IP addresses and exclude some networks I am not interested in (such
as development networks) and stop/start netmon.

Hope this helps
John

              McGuire Larry G

              <Larry.G.McGuire@irs.gov         To:
"'john.j.mackney@accenture.com'" <john.j.mackney@accenture.com>
              >                                cc:

                                               Subject: RE: [nv-l] No non-SNMP
devices in database
              24/09/2002 20:37

John,

I thought this was a very useful question, but, never saw anyone respond to
it via the list.  Did you get any replies that you can share with me?
Thanks,

Larry McGuire
Phone: 512-460-8858