Re: [nv-l] Netview 7.1.2 + AIX 4.3.3, ML09

To: reamd@Nationwide.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Netview 7.1.2 + AIX 4.3.3, ML09
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 13:01:38 -0400
Cc: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Not so far as I know.  ML09 represented a base level, the one we tested
at.   But that's all I can tell you.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

reamd@Nationwide.com
09/25/2002 12:32 PM

        To:     James Shanks/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
        cc:     nv-l@lists.tivoli.com

Any reason not to go with ML10 with 7.1.2?

                          James Shanks
                          <jshanks@us.ibm.com>     To:
nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
                                                   cc:
                                                   bcc:
                                                   Subject:   Re: [nv-l]
Netview 7.1.2 + AIX
                                                   4.3.3, ML09
                          09/11/2002 05:00 PM

Why ML09?
Because we discovered while testing that there were memory leaks in AIX's
gethostbyaddress and gethostbyname which might cause some daemons to grow
too large and core.  We also found some other OS issues  -- the details
are fuzzy to me now -- but one of them was resolved by some level
bos.rte.security  which shipped at ML 09.

Trust me on this.  We always start testing at the same level of platform
code as the earlier release used, but if the Verification people find a
problem, and it turns out to be an OS problem, or one that requires a new
OS level for a solution, then IBM policy requires that we pre-req the new
level or we cannot ship.   We'd be happier if
there were no pre-req's at all, but unfortunately we cannot do that.

If you think ML 09 is burdensome, just let me say that back in the days
before ML's, when we shipped NetView/6000 Version 4.1, the list of
individual PTFs to be applied to AIX 3.2.5 ran upwards of about 50.  We've
come a long way since then.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Allison, Jason (JALLISON)" <JALLISON@arinc.com>
09/11/2002 04:40 PM