Re: [nv-l] editing snmpCol.conf for NET-SNMP Mib Objects

To: "Westphal, Raymond" <RWestphal@erac.com>
Subject: Re: [nv-l] editing snmpCol.conf for NET-SNMP Mib Objects
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 13:51:58 -0400
Cc: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Ray -
Is your problem that in the grapher the items are shown by their OIDs and
not by a label?
That is because the grapher, just like xnmcollect which configures
snmpCol.conf, only reads the V1 MIB database ( /usr/OV/conf/snmpmib and
/usr/OV/conf/snmpmib.bin).  He does not read snmpCol.conf, only
snmpCollect does that.
So either you have to get an V1 version of that MIB or create one
yourself.
I published some steps to do that a week or so ago.  The archives will
also show you a link to get a tool called "smidump" from the web if you
want a tool to do the conversion.  you need to download and build
(compile) the tool but it is free.
But to just get the labels I think you can create a dummy MIB to do the
job for you, using simple OBJECT IDENTIFIER statements, something like
this:
        UCDAVIS-MIB DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN
        ucdavis OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { enterprises 2021 }
        ss    OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { ucdavis 11 }
        ssSwapIn OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { ss 3 }
        ssSwapOut OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { ss 4 }
        ssCpuUser OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { ss 9 }
        ssCpuSystem OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { ss 10 }
        ssCpuIdle OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { ss 11 }
        mem OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { ucdavis 4 }
        memAvailReal OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { mem 4 }
        memAvailSwap OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { mem 6 }
        END

See how the hierarchy works?  I'm just guessing at the MIB labels
(ucdavis, ss, mem) from what you've provided.   You can pick the real ones
from the V2 MIB if you like, but this should enable the grapher to label
your graphs.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Westphal, Raymond" <RWestphal@erac.com>
09/06/2002 01:21 PM