Re: [nv-l] (NV 7.1.2) Bandwidth Utilization Collects

To: David_Moon@lincolnelectric.com, nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] (NV 7.1.2) Bandwidth Utilization Collects
From: Bill Evans <wvevans@prodigy.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 11:50:46 -0400
There are archived discussions utilization questions. I did not see the characteristics of the interface listed in the discussion. It may be a full duplex link while the Tivoli Mib Expressions are developed for half duplex values. If the link is 10 MB full duplex it is possible to get 20MB total across the link -- ten MB in each direction at the same time. Ergo 200% utilization if you use the built-in MIB expression. To do utilization on a full duplex you need to calculate in and out utilization separately and take the larger value as the nominal percentage for the total link. A link with 90% inbound and 10% outbound is 90% utilized. I hope you enjoy working that out in postfix notation.
Bill Evans

Dejan Mijailovic wrote:

David.

They don't need to reset.

What you see is a TOTAL amount of bits In or Out of Interface.
What you need is real counter. If you do "snmpget" you will get the BIG
number, but snmpCollect should
collect bits (or octets) per second. It always does it if the MIB object you
collecting is  a (COUNTER)
and in you case, it is.
Check your mibExpr.conf file. Don't forget, it is a postFix math.

I think you are doing something wrong there.

Regards

Dejan