Re: [nv-l] NetView and Tivoli Enterprise Data Warehouse

To: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [nv-l] NetView and Tivoli Enterprise Data Warehouse
From: Gareth Holl <gholl@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 15:26:26 -0400
Cc: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com, tme10@lists.tivoli.com

NetView will be providing its own Data Warehouse Enablement Pack and thus it will be able to add its own data directly to the Data Warehouse. This availability data may be limited at first but I believe it will be just the beginning of what is possible in terms of extracting data from NetView and storing it in the Data Warehouse for other applications to use, such as Tivoli Service Level Advisor, or a popular reporting package. I believe it will be the objective (at the very least) to include the type of data that TDS Guides was extracting from NetView.

NetView v7 can still be installed in a Framework based environment and can still use RIM as it does in v6. NetView will not need RIM for the integration with the Tivoli Enterprise Data Warehouse.

Gareth Holl
Staff Software Engineer
gholl@us.ibm.com

IBM Software Group - Tivoli Brand
Research Triangle Park,  North Carolina.

Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>

10/14/2002 01:08 PM

Does anyone know what the direction is for storing NetView data in SQL
databases?  There seems to be a TEC Data Warehouse Enablement Pack but,
judging by the Implementation Guide on the Web Site, this is purely for
traditional TEC events, not NetView events / data.

A skim through TEC 3.8 documentation seems to be indicating that NetView
will generally be installed on a non-TME platform, which means no RIM
interface ie. no SQL database for NetView.

My understanding of TDS is that it is "life-time challenged".  Is my
only long-term option to get SNMP data out of NetView going to be
snmpColDump?

Cheers,
Jane
Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565