Re: [nv-l] Managing Red Side Routers in DMZ

Subject: Re: [nv-l] Managing Red Side Routers in DMZ
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 09:35:18 +0100
Hi John,
In my experience, the one thing firewall administrators are prepared to open is
an SNMP TRAP port from DMZ into the internal network.  If you have a Linux
NetView in your DMZ, you can also configure to use TCP for that TRAP path,
rather than UDP - this wins you more points still.  Your internal NetView will
listen by default, on TCP and UDP/162, so no changes there.  This seems much
simpler than sending TEC events direct from your DMZ NetView.

I have looked several times at running a MLM inside a DMZ and, IMHO, IBM does
not seem to want us to do this.  It won't hack it as-is and no-one else seems
to feel that MLM is worth extending a little to serve in this scenario, so as
Stephen says, your only option is a DMZ NetView.

If you go with DMZ NetView forwarding to internal NetView, there are a couple
of points you need to take care of:

Ensure you have a good DNS, consistent at both NetViews.  Trap forwarding
literally passes a copy of the trap forward.  Your internal NetView will expect
to resolve the name of the device that apparently sent the trap.

Depending on how many devices your Linux NetView is managing, you may want to
do something fancier than simple trap forwarding, especially if you have more
than 1 distributed NetView - there is nothing on a forwarded trap that says
WHICH NetView forwarded the trap.

Your internal NetView won't be able to poll anything beyond the firewall so
won't have any entries in his database or on the topo maps.  This doesn't
affect the event log but that's the ONLY part of your internal NetView that can
report on DMZ devices.

Cheers,
Jane