[nv-l] FW: ifOperStatus and ifAdminStatus

To: <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: [nv-l] FW: ifOperStatus and ifAdminStatus
From: "Sabirali Sama" <sabirali.sama@ntlworld.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 11:06:19 +0100

Hi All,

I have implemented NetView 7.1.3 and seem to experiencing an interesting problem. The site has many Nortel devices with Frame relay interfaces, the nodes have been discovered and are showing up green (which is good) but then after a while they turn red (which is bad).

After looking into the problem further I find that the following mibs are being queried, using the snmp poll or by a manual demand poll, see below:

.iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifOperStatus

When a demand poll is carried out the above flag indicates that the device is down, but we can still ping the device which turns the node green on the map but after a short while goes back to red. The device is actually UP.

One of the chaps has spoken to Nortel and it appears that the Nortel devices do not update the above mib branch which would explain the intermittent status change, instead Nortel update their own private mib which NetView does not look at.

Q. Is there anyway to configure NetView not to query the above mib branch and look at the Nortel mib instead, or is there any way round this problem, I have tried switching off the snmp poll and just use ICMP polling but this does not help. Any ideas ??

Many thanks in advance,

Sabirali Sama