Re: [nv-l] (NV 7.1.2) Bandwidth Utilization Collects

To: "Dejan Mijailovic" <dejan.mijailovic@inquent.com>
Subject: Re: [nv-l] (NV 7.1.2) Bandwidth Utilization Collects
From: netview@toddh.net (Todd H.)
Date: 01 Oct 2002 15:00:07 -0500
Cc: <David_Moon@lincolnelectric.com>, <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
"Dejan Mijailovic" <dejan.mijailovic@inquent.com> writes:

> David.
>
> They don't need to reset.
>
> What you see is a TOTAL amount of bits In or Out of Interface.
> What you need is real counter. If you do "snmpget" you will get the BIG
> number, but snmpCollect should
> collect bits (or octets) per second.

> It always does it if the MIB object you collecting is a (COUNTER)
> and in you case, it is.  Check your mibExpr.conf file. Don't forget,
> it is a postFix math.

If ever you need to do this magic on something other than a COUNTER,

        man mib.coerce

You can coerce integers to be treated as counters.   I can't remember
all the details, but I was pleased to find out that snmpcollect could
do this stuff on mibExpr.conf  expressions as well as individual
OID's.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/