Re: [nv-l] SNMP V3 support

To: <MJBock@dstsystems.com>, <netview@toddh.net>
Subject: Re: [nv-l] SNMP V3 support
From: "Jerald Jackson" <Jerald.Jackson@bcbsnc.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 16:11:05 -0400
Cc: <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
I have also opened an enhancement request with IBM for snmpv2 support within
MLM.

Perhaps we could ask that others who might find this useful would do the same?

Regards,

Jerald Jackson

>>> netview@toddh.net 10/01/02 03:36PM >>>
MJBock@dstsystems.com writes:
> When is Tivoli Netview going to support SNMP V3. We are also getting
> into the monitoring of devices in our DMZ and it appears that would
> help protect the SNMP traffic.  Do we all need to get on the band
> wagon and send a bunch of emails or would this forum suffice for
> getting that support implemented soon.

I get the impression that enhancement requests are the golden
requirements that are used to drive features in the next release of
the product. Complaining on this forum won't do much of anything but
elicit sympathy from other users, or perhaps act as a means of
organizing the masses.  8-)

I believe the party line is to contact your Tivoli rep and open an
enhancement request.

Or, open a support query asking "how do i do this in NetView?"  When
the answer comes back "you can't," the last kind support tech I had
told me it was not possible in the current product, but offered to
open an enhancement request for me....which was mighty handy and
reasonable.

I requested SNMPv3 support be added as an enhancement request a couple
of weeks ago.  That one's gonna take some work....key infrastructure
and all.

I also requested SNMPv2 support on teh MLM's for trap handling--that's
a biggie for us, and I don't imagine it being too awful hard to
implement.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.