[nv-l] Status Unreachable - not quite clear!

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: [nv-l] Status Unreachable - not quite clear!
From: "Wolfgang Nilz" <wolfgang.nilz@arz.co.at>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 14:45:50 +0200
Hello everybody!

We have NetView/AIX  V 7.1.2 , AIX Version 4.3.3 .

I don't know who needs the new 'Unrechable'-status really?
For us it was a step back!

What do I mean:
For example we have two routers connected with a syncronous line and as
backup ISDN.
Both routers have multiple LAN- and WAN-ports, other routers are connected
to them. So we organized them in two submaps. The sync-line is drawn as a
black line between this two submaps.

When this line is broken, automatically ISDN dials to the other location
and the router itself and the connected sub-routers are up again. But the
sync-ports of the broken line are critical on both routers.
With Netview V 5 the line between the two submaps was red, now it is still
black because the sync-network (only a line) is in status unreachable! Both
submaps are yellow. Because of ISDN the ohter routers are reachable, only
the sync-port is down.
For us it is very unclear, if there is a problem with a connection to an
other submap or if the problem is in the submap. With V5 it was clear, that
the line was broken, because it was shown red. Now the service-center-user
has to investigate more to find out, that the red shown port is the
sync-port to the other area-router!
And if more submaps are yellow the user doesn't see the problem at a
glance!

Now my question: Is there a possibility to switch off the
'unreachable-algorithm' ?

Except of polling- and queue-saving I personally see no advantage in
'unreachable', because when it is not reachable, for the end-user it is
down anyhow!

Sincerely,

Wolfgang Nilz
ARZ - Allgemeines Rechenzentrum
Abt. Netzwerk - WAN
Tschamlerstr. 2, A-6020 Innsbruck
Tel. ++43 050400 -1292 (österreichweit zum Ortstarif)
 bzw. ++43 5345 - 1292
mailto:wolfgang.nilz@arz.co.at
http://www.arz.co.at