Re: [nv-l] [Update] DNS in a distributed environment

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] [Update] DNS in a distributed environment
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 09:24:22 -0500
I'm not certain that I understand what you are saying.  I also don't
understand this term "edgeserver" that you are using.  Is this another
NetView that you have forwarding traps to a  central one, or what?

The origin name in an SNMP V1  trap is sent as an IP address, not as a
resolved octetstring.  So if the "edgeserver" is one NetView forwarding
traps to the other, then name resolution at the "edgeserver" has nothing
to do with how the trap is displayed at the central sever.  Each trapd is
going to have to do the very same reverse address lookup using
gethostbyaddr to resolve the name.   So if your traps look fine in one but
not in the other, then they aren't using the same name resolution
methodology.   Different name servers, perhaps?   Or perhaps one also has
a host file that is overriding DNS?

Perhaps this information will help you clarify the problem.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

cfrantse@csc.com
11/18/2002 05:59 AM