RE: [nv-l] Monitored Server down (duplicate addresses)

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Monitored Server down (duplicate addresses)
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 19:05:56 -0500
I did not see this answer to this question, so I will send this even though
it is
late (sorry for being so out of touch lately..). At least it will be in the
archives.

Whenever you have these intentional duplicate addresses, for clusters for
example,
put the duplicate addresses in the seedfile with %, to be treated as fake
HSRP
addresses. Netview will check them to see if they need moving, but won't
mark
them as down, or delete/add them at every config poll.

Support for this was added in 6.0.1 or 6.0.2, I believe, to handle
redundant IBM MSSs.

Back to mining the old postings for tips...... I learn something every day
from you guys.

Detroit

                      "Bursik, Scott

                      {PBSG}"                  To:       "'James Brunke'"
<jbrunke@ctsgi.com>, nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
                      <Scott.Bursik@pbs        cc:

                      g.com>                   Subject:  RE: [nv-l] Monitored
Server down

                      09/26/2002 02:25

                      PM

I have seen similar issues with AIX nodes in a HA cluster. We have some AIX
machines in 2 different locations and with 2 different HA configurations
and
it happens only at the one location. I can get it to trigger with a demand
poll of one of the nodes.

I have also seen this behavior with duplicate IP addresses. Every time
NetView SNMP polls one of the nodes with the duplicate it causes an
interface or node down event, depending on the number of interfaces on that
node. Then when it polls the other node with that address it happens again.
It just flops back and fourth. If the cluster has interfaces with
duplicated
addresses, even if they aren't on a network reachable by NetView, NetView
will discover them through the SNMP configuration poll.

Scott Bursik
Event Systems Management
Pepsico Business Solutions Group
(972) 334-3757