Re: [nv-l] trap response

To: "Allison, Jason (JALLISON)" <JALLISON@arinc.com>
Subject: Re: [nv-l] trap response
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 10:33:07 -0500
Cc: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
I am not certain, but I would expect the NULL if you are sending traps in
the standard way, to 162/udp.
The agent, trapd,  does not respond, but the blocking send expects a
response, so I think it will just time out and you'll get the NULL.
All the examples of this I have seen, use a non-blocking send for traps.

Some our daemons (notably netmon) do set up a TCP session with trapd to
send traps, but I think in that case all they get back is an ack that the
last pdu was received without errors and then they disconnect.  Whether
this is available to you in the APIs I don't know.  Not a netmon guy.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Allison, Jason (JALLISON)" <JALLISON@arinc.com>
11/22/2002 10:00 AM