Re: [nv-l] MAC and IP Address - mac address lookup

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] MAC and IP Address - mac address lookup
From: dmahler@telcordia.com
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 15:53:34 -0500

we use one of our netview boxes to do a total network discovery every
night.   this captures dns name, ip, and mac address.

then we use ovtopodump -L  to   to blast this out nightly to a flat file we
can use for searches

we also use this info in other automation, such as a layer 2 switch port to
device name mapping (snmp vs the cisco cam table yields mac addresses)

Don M
SAIC

ps btw - \usr\ov\bin\ovobjprint is also useful.