[nv-l] NVMAPGLOBALACK variable questions

To: "'nv-l@lists.tivoli.com'" <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: [nv-l] NVMAPGLOBALACK variable questions
From: "Gow Kevin (KTSO 4)" <kevin.gow@csfs.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 15:52:53 +0100
NetView 7.1.3, AIX 4.3.3

Here we go again...

I had a request to implement NVMAPGLOBALACK way back when, when we had NetView
6.0.1. This was buggy back then. Now it works really well. Guess what? Now the
gentlemen who use NetView, have realized they no longer want this. Too many
people are ACKING all over the place, leaving the group responsible for the R/W
map with ruffled feathers. Now I have to back out the globle acknowledge
feature. My question is: How?!

NVMAPGLOBALACK=1 is not set in any .Profile file and hence not exported. I have
no /usr/OV/bin/applsetup file. So how do I unset this variable, so it stays
unset? I then want to nail it down so that "isAcknowledged" is not global, but
on a per map basis. By per map, I mean, this status is not propogated to all
maps, but is only visible to the current map R/O the user has open.. It will
only appear acknowledged in only his. If he refreshes, it will be gone. If
someone starts a new R/O map, it must not pick up any isAcknowledge flags from
other maps. Would an acknowledge on the R/W map result in this being propogated
to web clients connected to the R/W map? Probably... but I can test that out
later. I realize I will be using some functionality here, namely that with TEC.
But I cannot win can I? We are at the mercy of the users...

Any ideas? Pitfalls? What do you think?

Regards,
Kevin.

--