RE: [nv-l] SNMP MIB OBJECT-ID OBJECT-TYPE

To: "'nv-l'" <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] SNMP MIB OBJECT-ID OBJECT-TYPE
From: "Allison, Jason (JALLISON)" <JALLISON@arinc.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 08:53:25 -0500
Perfect!

Thanks,

Jason Allison
Principal Engineer
ARINC Incorporated
Office:  (410) 266-2006
FAX:  (410) 573-3026

-----Original Message-----
From: James Shanks [mailto:jshanks@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2003 8:07 AM
To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com

The closest thing to a process is trapd.  He formats what you see in the
event windows and in trapd.log.  Your formatting options are explained in
the man page for trapd.conf which is where you would specify your
formatting preferences, though the preferred interface for modifying
trapd.conf is xnmtrap, because that guarantees that you cannot mess it up
and produce a trapd.conf that trapd cannot load.

If what you would like to see is that the log message show the full name of
the MIB OID, then you need to load the MIB defining it into the SNMP V1 MIB
database, using xnmloadmib.  trapd loads the binary file of that MIB
database, /usr/OV/conf/snmpmib.bin, upon startup and uses it to resolve the
MIB OIDs.

If you want to format the trap and still show the MIB OIDs as they are
given by trapd when it is unformatted, then use the "$+n" syntax described
in the man page for trapd.conf.

Hope this helps

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

                      "Allison, Jason

                      (JALLISON)"              To:       "'nv-l'"
<nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
                      <JALLISON@arinc.c        cc:

                      om>                      Subject:  [nv-l] SNMP MIB
OBJECT-ID OBJECT-TYPE

                      02/12/03 11:36 AM

I am being sent a trap with 3 varbinds.  One of the varbinds represents an
OID in our MIB.  When I run my netview sniffer (registers with trapd), my
output is in dotted decimal notation.  When I utilize "Event Configuration"
for that trap, Netview converts the dotted notation to the worded notation
when I access that varbind.

What is the process that handles this conversion?

Thanks,

Jason Allison
Principal Engineer
ARINC Incorporated