Re: [nv-l] Strategies for dealing with clusters, interface names, TEC ev

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Strategies for dealing with clusters, interface names, TEC events
From: bill.kellam@worldspan.com
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 14:07:04 -0500
Here's an answer from the other end of the spectrum...straight out of
Netview admin training (7.1.3).

You can configure Cisco HSRP addresses in the seed file. I don't know if a
clustered server would produce the same results, but with HSRP, Netview
polls the virtual address for sysname to determine which real router
currently owns the address. When it detects a name change, it generates an
event to delete the interface from one and another to add the interface to
the new owner. I thought that was pretty slick.

Regards,
Bill Kellam
Enterprise Integration and Management
404-322-4616

|         |           Jon_Austin@bankon|
|         |           e.com            |
|         |           02/13/2003 01:34 |

  |       To:       <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
                                 |
  |       cc:
                                 |
  |       Subject:  [nv-l] Strategies for dealing with clusters, interface
names, TEC events                     |

We are a legacy installation of NetView, since the 4.x to 5.x days. We are
current at 7.1 heading on the current level this year.

Our implementation was architect way back last millennium. Our mission is
discrete:
             Up/Down status polling on server class systems and network
devices (interface/node)
             SNMP trap processing

             Everything munges through with a single target path: T/EC, and
then an incident management system.

Way back when a decision was made to use /etc/hosts entries to make NetView
objects without domain names. It allowed us not to have to truncate the
names in T/EC.

However, with the increased use of clustering architectures, and assigning
multiple names and IP addresses to a physical server device, we're trying
to grok out how to properly distinguish between a cluster server (with an
associated IP address) and a cluster service (with another associated IP
address) end-to-end, from interface down/node down, all the way to incident
management.

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts on the subject, detailed on
conceptual.

Should we be evolving our NetView configuration away from a local
/etc/hosts file?

Can NetView handle at discovery time associating different names (derivable
from DNS) as labels for different interfaces so we can treat a Cluster
Service (and IP) like a virtual node from detecting interface loss through
to incident management? We are extremely bullish on automation where
possible.

Jon C Austin
Enterprise Management
Technology Operations
Bank One Card Services
(302)282-3498 (phone)
Jon_Austin@bankone.com

This transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential
and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the
distribution, or use of the information contained herein (including any
reliance thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you received this transmission
in error, please immediately contact the sender and destroy the material in
its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format. Thank you

*NOTE*
help line at 1-800-TIVOLI8(848-6548)