[nv-l] NetView and DNS -- you using it? (was Re: RES: [nv-l] /etc/hosts

To: <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: [nv-l] NetView and DNS -- you using it? (was Re: RES: [nv-l] /etc/hosts)
From: "Bernard Disselborg" <BDisselborg@triple-p.nl>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 08:40:34 +0100
Todd,

I've done several implementations of NetView, in most of them I'm using
DNS.
My opinion on this: when using DNS it is REQUIRED to run the DNS server
locally.
This to avoid issues with DNS response times (NetView heavily uses DNS
forward/reverse lookups) and availability (when DNS is down or with
problems in the network so that DNS can't be reached, NetView is more or
less down).
It is very important to have your forward en reverse name resolution
properly configured (A an PTR records).
My reccomendation is to configure the NetView system as a secondary
server, all the DNS info is stored locally and in can run independantly
from the primary server in the network.

HTH,

Bernard

>>> netview@toddh.net 13-Feb-03 18:17:54 >>>

While we're mentioning it.... has anyone experienced specific gotchas
with NetView being picky about DNS response times?  How many of you
are using DNS happily with NetView for AIX (and at what level?).

I've recently run into some signficiant issues under NetView 7.1.0
under AIX 4.3.3 ML10 (nmdemandpoll's hanging, map
syncrhonization--showing hosts green that ovtopodump shows as down).
We're working with support and have been alerted to the existence of
the /etc/netnmrc.pre directives/environment variables

RES_TIMEOUT=1
RES_RETRY=1

that can evidently be helpful in directing NetView to handle DNS
latency a bit better.  It's not yet clear if these are going to solve
our issue.  Resolution times using the AIX "host" command are
essentially immediate, as are nslookup queries.

I'm also aware of the Tivoli recommendation to run a caching-only DNS
server locally on the NetView box becaues NEtView is such a heavy
consumer of name resolution resources.

How many of y'all are leveraging DNS  as a source of resolution for
the devices you're monitoring in NetView?  How many are running a
caching-only server?   Is anyone aware of DNS-related gotcha's in
7.1.0 that are fixed in 7.1.2 or 7.1.3?     Our direction is to move
to the more recent releases, but production realities mitigate against
upgrading without a specific reason.  8-)

Can anyone share their experience?  How are you handling name
resolution in your environment?

Best Regards,
Todd

Marcos Antonio Pezzutti Filho <pezzutti@banespa.com.br> writes:
> Hi Dave,
>
> Besides everithing that my coleagues have said, I d suggest you to
look at
> /etc/netsvc.conf file and see what is the order of the terms ? If you
want
> only to resolv name by /etc/hosts, you have to configure this file in
this
> manner:
>
> hosts=local,bind

*NOTE*