Re: [nv-l] SmartSets in SNMPconf ??

Subject: Re: [nv-l] SmartSets in SNMPconf ??
From: "Jeffrey G. Fitzwater" <jfitz@Princeton.EDU>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 12:02:04 -0500
Sender: jfitz@phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Dietmar Gaulhofer wrote:

> sry - don is right about that - missed it because i never used it. I
> normaly do smartsets based on SNMP Database Information. And herefore
> its not good to have SNMP settings based on smartsets. It will not discover
> a Cisco Router if i but a smartset on Vendor or OID, and set a
> SNMP community on that - i guess.
>
> For me smartset snmpsettings are a little bit to much dynamic in here...
> But this is of course a personal feeling.
>
> regards,

> Dietmar Gaulhofer, IBM Österreich
> Systems Engineer
> ITS - Integrated Technology Services - Unit Austria
> Email: Dietmar_Gaulhofer@at.ibm.com
> Tel: +43/1/21145-2756
> ---------------------- Forwarded by Dietmar Gaulhofer/Austria/IBM on
> 05.03.2003 16:22 ---------------------------
>
> Dietmar Gaulhofer
> 05.03.2003 16:47
>
> To:    "Jeffrey G. Fitzwater" <jfitz@Princeton.EDU>
> cc:
>
> From:  Dietmar Gaulhofer/Austria/IBM@IBMAT
> Subject:    Re: [nv-l] SmartSets in SNMPconf ??
>
> xnmsnmpconf -export
> xnmsnmpconf - import
>
> don't forget the xnmsnmpconf -event to actualle reread the config.
>
> reg,

> Dietmar Gaulhofer, IBM Österreich
> Systems Engineer
> ITS - Integrated Technology Services - Unit Austria
> Email: Dietmar_Gaulhofer@at.ibm.com
> Tel: +43/1/21145-2756

What I use the SMARTSETS for is so that netview will know the correct
community name to DISCOVER and DEMAND poll certain groups of devices that we
have special community names for.  I have the DISCOVER NEW NODES disabled and
only use LOADHOSTS to inject host into DB.  Also now with the new NVMAPUTIL
tool, I can delete them in script.   This is much cleaner for us since
students come and go or network devices are changed.  Princeton maintains a
HOST REGISTRATION  for all nodes on campus on a separate machine and this is
where the NETVIEW DB comes from using LOADHOSTS in a script as the
registrations change.

Jeff F.