Re: [nv-l] [Fwd: Auto-discovering problem...]

To: "Dominic D'Apice" <dapiced@sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: [nv-l] [Fwd: Auto-discovering problem...]
From: Bill Evans <wvevans@attglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 17:57:16 -0500
Cc: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Dominic,

I think the simple answer is "Because that's the way it was designed by HP back in the 1980s when IBM and HP shared the NetView/OpenView code." Not satisfying but there were good reasons for that design. Some reasons dealing with security were only appreciated recently. The other reasons were more important in the days of slow network links like major trunks at 9600 baud. An SNMP query of an ARP cache was more efficient than massive ping sweeps.
SOAPBOX ON

In a modern network, especially the ones I've been working on recently, they really get upset if you try to "Discover" the network. Their security insists that you KNOW exactly what you want to monitor and part of the installation is to double check that everything you discover is known and everything known is discovered. Every single device is put in the initial seed file to guarantee that it is discovered then NVDBFORMAT is executed to make sure you get them all. In the world of NIMDA and Code Red viruses, firewalls and constant threats, everyone should be careful about knowing exactly what nodes are attached to a network. I think the reported SNMP exposure identified a year or two ago was a red herring since it assumed that some bad practices exist in NetView trap automation but I would be very careful what nodes I discovered and what traps I processed. A simple loop to issue a ping with a one second timeout addressed to every address in your seed file range will probably result in finding all the nodes. BUT, indiscriminate polling advertises you have a NetView which can reach the receiving node and odds are the SNMP window is open both ways. (Come on hackers, here I am.) Likewise, I don't like simple direct automation from trapd.conf definitions. Either use a Ruleset with filtering or put filtering in the scripts invoked. Tivoli closed the known exposure when CERT issued their SNMP advisory but it is a historic point of attack. Finally, if you DO discover something not in the seed file (NetView generates a trap when it happens) it should cause a security notice to be posted. Either you missed a node in your provisioning, someone violated registration procedures or you just found a network intruder. OK. I'm paranoid. Got that way consulting for the Departments of Defense and Treasury. (Guns and Money seem to be our culture's hot points.) If you want to find out if you have good security in the installation, try turning NVSNIFFER on from a Windows node witout telling anyone. The default configuration automatically tests the major TCPIP ports (FTP, HTTP, TELNET, etc) by sending a query packet every hour. (Conversely, if you do decide to use NVSNIFFER, let network Security know ahead of time. They get excited when they see massive numbers of repeated TCPIP probes.
SOAPBOX OFF (finally).

Happy Seed File editing. I request the customer to provide me with the addresses they want monitored then process the list through some scripts to provide SEED, HOSTS and LOCATION.CONF files. Actually I ask for the IP Address, device hostname, location and community name. I can locate hostname (either nslookup or snmpwalk for sysname) and location (snmpwalk for syslocation) if I have the other two.
Dominic D'Apice wrote:

Hi again,

any hint or advice why Netview only discover node if and only if when i
ping a node or when i add a ip adress in the seed file => "initial
discovery seed" ??

Hint will be apreciated
Thanks
Dominic