[nv-l] Réf : Re: [nv-l] nvpagerd

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: [nv-l] Réf : Re: [nv-l] nvpagerd
From: bducharme@avdl.com
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 15:15:02 -0500
It was already started with a -d and there was nothing in the
nvpagerd.errlog.

Ben

|------------+--------------------------------->
|            |                                 |
|------------+--------------------------------->

  |James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
                                                                     |
  |2003-03-25 14:59

             Pour :   nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
             cc :
             Objet :
                      Re: [nv-l] nvpagerd

The NetView paging facility has several components.   You have a
misconception about how it works.

nvpage, the command you use to send a page with,  sends your message to
the paging queue maintained by nvpagerd.  "Message sent successfully"
means your page was added to the paging queue.  It does not mean your page
was sent out over the wire, only that nvpagerd will now attempt that.  The
only way you would not get a "message sent successfully" message from
nvpage would be if nvpagerd were not running or there were some kind of
problem which would prevent it from being added to the queue, such as low
memory or queue full.   So you cannot use "message sent successfully" as a
guide to whether or not a page was sent.  There are no external messages
from this point on.  You have to look in the logs if you suspect a problem
with the paging facility.

The nvpagerd daemon takes the page off the queue and spawns a separate
process, nvpager, to handle the dialing and sending chores.  If nvpagerd
cannot launch an nvpager process to do that, then he will write
nvpagerd.errlog.  Once the nvpager process is launched, he writes his
errors to the nvpagerd.alog, as you noticed.  Generally speaking, that is
where you would find errors which occur with the transmission itself. Some
are also echoed to the nvpagerd.errlog.

>From the message you got back I would guess that your carrier "BELL" hung
up on it's end.  The message text, "too slow - good bye",  is something
that  nvpagerd got over the wire from them.  It's not part
of his code and he did not make it up.  Why did this happen?  Your guess
is as good as mine.

Generally speaking, failed pages are put back in the paging queue and
tried again, after all other have been sent.  So normally we would just
retry this page several times before giving up on it.  Then you would see
a message to that effect in the logs.

At this point, I would say you have two choices.  You can start tracing
the operation of the pager.  You do this by adding "-d" to the definition
of nvpagerd in the ovsuf file.  Then he traces every thing that happens.
The trace goes to nvpagerd.alog, which will grow until the daemon is
restarted.  Or you could call your carrier BELL and ask them what they
think is going on, and see if they can tell you what might be happening.

I don't know of any simple way to send an alert if a page does not go
through.   Such a facility is not provided in NetView .   The only way I
could see that might be done would be to have a process which would grep
the  nvpagerd.alog and look for the word "FAILED" in error messages, and
then issue snmptrap or ovxecho if one is found.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

bducharme@avdl.com
03/25/2003 02:17 PM

        To:     nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
        cc:
        Subject:        [nv-l] nvpagerd

Hi,

I had a problem with nvpagerd on Netview.
But it always said "message sent succesfully" in my logs.
The only place where i found an error was in nvpagerd.alog.
The error was: error: carrier BELL said "too slow - good bye".
Anyone saw that error ?

I restarted nvpagerd this morning and everything went fine after that.

How can i monitor nvpagerd ?
Anyone monitoring nvpagerd and get an alert if anything goes wrong ?

Thanks

Ben

*NOTE*
help line at 1-800-TIVOLI8(848-6548)