RE: [nv-l] Incorrect Routing

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Incorrect Routing
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 15:13:52 -0500

It is not unusual for a pix to respond to snmp queries in a very limited
way. I tell customers to ignore that routing
message and configure it log-only if it is that annoying. Basically, I
treat it as 'normal'.

Detroit

                      "Davis, Donald"

                      <donald.davis@firstci        To:       "'CATALINA
MARTINEZ '" <CATALINA.MARTINEZ@tlc.state.tx.us>, "Davis, Donald"
                      tizens.com>
<donald.davis@firstcitizens.com>, "'nv-l@lists.tivoli.com '"
<nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
                                                   cc:

                      04/04/2003 12:35 PM          Subject:  RE: [nv-l]
Incorrect Routing

This sounds like the pix is not responding properly to the snmpget for the
ipForwarding status. Try it from the Mib Browser or Command Line to see
what you get.

snmpget <pix> .1.3.6.1.2.1.4.1.0

The response should be forwarding or not-forwarding.
If it is not-forwarding, that is your problem.
If it is an error message like "This variable does not exist" or "snmp-no
such name" you have an issue with your firewall security folks. They are
restricting your access to the "IP" branch of the MIB tree.

Good luck,
Don Davis