[nv-l] Anyone using java client with a virtual IP address?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: [nv-l] Anyone using java client with a virtual IP address?
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 09:06:49 -0400

I'm being asked if this will work and I have no idea, but someone out there
might have tried it. The customer has failover for web applications set up
to automatically redirect web users to which ever server is working.
Apparently this is part of a load balancing mechanism configured in certain
switches. They would like me to configure the Netview standalone java
client to specify a virtual IP address rather than the real IP address of
either Netview server. When the primary Netview goes down for any reason,
an operator can redirect the switch to the secondary (already live)
Netview, and the users will only need to restart their client, if that,
without specifying the address of the secondary system. That is the benefit
of doing this - not needing to re-specify the appropriate address.

The only unknown here is whether there might be something in the code of
either the java client or the Netview server that would be confused by that
virtual address. We don't yet have a failover environment to try this with
but I'm trying to worry ahead.  Any advice is welcome.

Detroit