Re: [nv-l] Error Loading MIB

To: Danielle Fratto <fratto@us.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Error Loading MIB
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 07:16:53 -0400
Cc: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
When they browse this MIB with the OpenView browser, which label is used?
Did you ask them that?

That MIB is in error.  There can be no doubt about that.  Two labels
define exactly the same OID.  Which should you use?
It CANNOT be both.  Any book on SNMP will tell you that.  There is a
one-to-one correspondence between a label and an OID.
So it must be that HP's compiler makes the decision for you of which one
to use.  Either it takes the first one it encounters and throws the next
one away, or  more likely, it throws the first one away and uses the
second.  Either way it is arbitrary.

The only difference with NetView is that it will not do that.  You have to
decide which label you want because there is nothing in the MIB itself
which allows you to make that decision.  So do that.  Edit the MIB and
comment out (put double dashes in  front of the line you want to exclude)
the line you don't want.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Danielle Fratto/Fishkill/IBM@IBMUS
04/17/2003 06:18 PM