Re: [nv-l] Status Polling in Netview 7.1.3

Subject: Re: [nv-l] Status Polling in Netview 7.1.3
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 11:44:05 +0100
Hi Sean,
First question is "Do you want to discover all 6000 but only monitor some, OR, do you only want to discover a small subset?"

If the latter, look at the documentation on the seedfile for netmon. This allows you to specify what you DO want to discover, and, via wildcards, what you DON'T want to discover. This is easy.

If you really do want to discover the rest but turn off polling, the question becomes "How do I specify machines NOT to be polled". From the Options menu, you can configure polling intervals for specific systems, specific networks and SmartSets. You could set the polling to be 100days for the stuff not yet in spec.

Cheers,
Jane

O'Connor, Sean wrote:

Hello All,

I am having trouble understanding how to control status polling in NetView
7.1.3.  We have discovered over 6,000 devices on our network but the scope
of my current project is only to monitor and forward availability of some of
those devices.

I would like to turn polling off for most of these all bar some key systems,
preferably without removing the not currently needed objects from the
database.  These additional devices will be in scope as soon as I have built
the business case.

Any help gratefully accepted
Sean O'Connor
Tel:      (02380) 25 x7228
Mob:    (07887) 521169

B&Q plc
Registered Office: Portswood House, 1 Hampshire Corporate Park,
Chandlers Ford, Eastleigh, Hampshire, SO53 3YX
Buy Online NOW at http://www.diy.com

Registered in England Number 973387

This e-mail is only intended for the person(s) to whom it is addressed and
may contain confidential information. Unless stated to the contrary, any
opinions or comments are personal to the writer and do not represent the
official view of the company. If you have received this e-mail in error,
please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message
from your system. Please do not copy it or use it for any purposes, or
disclose its contents to any other person. Thank you for your co-operation.

*NOTE*
help line at 1-800-TIVOLI8(848-6548)

Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565
Copyright (c) 2003 Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>.  All rights