RE: [nv-l] Several things - loading mibs and forwarding specific trap

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Several things - loading mibs and forwarding specific traps to a specific IP address in addition to TEC1
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 15:55:28 -0400
This is UNIX so you can use whatever file extension you like for the
mib2trap output.  It will be a script composed of addtrap commands,  as I
said.  Once the output file is created, you execute it.   See the man page
on mib2trap.   It will add the traps as "Log Only" so you will have to use
xnmtrap to alter that if you want to see them in the events window.

You didn't tell me which of the three different possible choices you used
in serversetup.
(1) Forward specific traps as events to (hosts) ___________
(2) Forward specific traps to (hosts)__________
(3) Forwad ALL traps to (hosts) --------------

Note that the serversetup panel does not number them.  I have done that
here to emphasize the difference

Each on of these will put a different option into the trapd.lrf file  for
trapd to use on restart.  The contents of the trapd.lrf file is then
copied to /usr/OV/conf/ovsuf  when the ovdelobj/ovaddobj is done, when you
hit the OK button in serversetup.   To see what that means in terms of the
actual options the daemon runs with you can do "ps -ef | grep trapd".  You
should see all the flags in the output.   The man page for trapd will
explain what all the flags mean.

I am guessing that you selected (2) above.  If so, then you must use
xnmtrap to edit the trap definitions for these traps in trapd.conf, after
you add them by running the mib2trap output script, and make sure the
Forward Trap button is set.  By default, it will not be.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Pearson, George" <GPearson@bcbsm.com>
04/30/2003 02:59 PM