Re: [nv-l] Duplicate nodes

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Duplicate nodes
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 21:52:17 -0400

Of course. Netview will make separate nodes if it does not have SNMP to
tell it that they are the same node, and if they do not resolve to the same
name. In a normal Unix environment, I don't think case matters in name
resolution, but maybe it does with WINS. Check their Selection Names to see
what the full names are. The map only shows up to the first dot. Perhaps
they are being resolved to different domains or something. Also make sure
they resolve in both directions. I believe that you can override messy name
resolution with the hosts file under ..drivers\etc.

On Unix, Netview will make a router of non-snmp addresses that resolve to
the same name. I don't know what the Windows version will do.

(248) 552-4968 Voicemail, Fax, Pager

                      awatthey@mmm.com

                                               To:       nv-l@lists.tivoli.com

                      04/29/2003 12:20         cc:

                      PM                       Subject:  [nv-l] Duplicate nodes

I'm on Windows 2000 SP3 and Tivoli Netview 7.1.3 with Fixpack1.

I am getting duplicate nodes setup by Netview and I was wondering if there
is something I could do about it.  I think I have tracked it down to the
following.  A PC has two interfaces (SNMP is not running there).  Netview
finds both addresses via its PINGing.  One address resolves through the
DNS server so Netview fills in the correct name.  The other interface
seems to resolve into the same name (but in uppercase instead of
lowercase) and I believe this could be because of WINS.

I notice this because when I set up a smartset (eg. looking for port 137)
it shows both the nodes (one uppercase and one lowercase).

Is there some way I can tell Netview that this is the same node with two
interfaces (ie. merge them together somehow)?  The box in question is in
fact a Windows PC with two interfaces (main and backup).

Does this imply that any box with more than one interface on it will
generate more than one node if SNMP is not active?  I don't think I can
tell my entire world to enable SNMP.  Is there something I could do with
the LMHOSTS file or DNS to combat this?

Regards,
Alan.

*NOTE*