[nv-l] SAR utilization type reporting for Netview server

To: "'nv-l@lists.tivoli.com'" <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: [nv-l] SAR utilization type reporting for Netview server
From: "Cowan, Christopher" <Christopher_Cowan@sra.com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 10:20:46 -0400
I used to use Ed Finch's sarge utility for this type of stuff, which is just
perl/CGI backend that prepares graphic reports (ala MRTG).  But, I used it
in a Solaris shop.  The main problem is that it doesn't support AIX out of
the box.    It was pretty easy to hack to support ssh, and AIX.   (Just a
matter of getting the command line options right on the AIX version of sar,
and hacking the sarge parsers a little).

You may want to also look through the AIX docs.   I left IBM in 96, but
while I was there we had the performance toolbox, and a bunch of other
utilities that were extremely useful on one of the AIX extension CDs.
(Invariably, almost nobody ever installed these extensions, and it was often
difficult to know whether what you were using was "internal use only"
stuff).

You could also use the ITM history reporter to get a similar effect.   I
haven't gone through the ITM docs to see if this all accessible in the
default resource models, or whether you'd have to write your own.

--
Chris Cowan
Sr. ESM Consultant