Re: [nv-l] Does NetView work with SNMP V3

Subject: Re: [nv-l] Does NetView work with SNMP V3
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 14:41:31 +0100
Yes, No and Maybe.....

My understanding is that the SNMP V3 spec has not changed much in the Structure of Management Information (SMI) from SNMP V2 - ie. the way MIB variables are specified - and NetView supports SNMP V2 MIBs.

What changes dramatically, certainly between SNMP V1 and SNMP V3 is the protocol part of SNMP - ie. how information is packetised over the wire, including security. NetView itself does not support the SNMP V3 protocol.

The "Maybe" bit is that at Planet Tivoli US, IBM shared a session with SNMP Research who have a "tightly integrated" SNMP utility that sits on the same box as NetView and translates between SNMP V1 and SNMP V3, thus making the NetView system able to communicate with SNMP V3 agents - see www.snmp.com for more info.

Cheers,
Jane

JamesHorwath@glic.com wrote:

Does NetView work with SNMP V3?  I was asked this by our security folks.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Jim

Jim Horwath