Re: [nv-l] NV on Linux

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] NV on Linux
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 10:37:08 -0400
There is no mystery here.

The policy towards Linux is the same as it is towards AIX, Solaris, or
Windows.

When a new release is scheduled to go out, we test on the latest levels
available.  If the code works, great, and that is recorded in the Release
Notes as the latest supported level.  If it doesn't work, defects are
taken and pursued until it does work.  If all that happens before the new
release is shipped, great.  If not, then the last successful level is what
goes into the Release Notes. Then that level is installed by IBM support
groups worldwide.    So the supported level is always the  last level to
go thru formal Verification.  This is not anything new.   And if you think
about it, how could it be anything else?

But there is no way to update the support level after shipment, until a
new release of the code comes out.  We cannot announce support for a new
OS level without a formal test and we are not allocated test resources
until a new release is being tested prior to shipment.  Again, this not a
new policy, nor are we deficient in any way.

The bottom line is that 7.1.4 will be the next time you will see the
announced level of OS support changed.

You are free to use a newer level if you must.  That doesn't mean that you
are out in the cold.  It just means that there remains the possibility
that some issue you bring to Support might be determined to be OS-related
and unfixable in current code.   If the Support person has no such problem
at his level and yet you  have it at yours, then there may be no
resolution anyone can give you until a newer release of the product ships.
 Most of the time that is not an issue, however.  But as the customer, you
have to decide what is an acceptable level of risk.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Mahesh Tailor" <MTailor@carilion.com>
06/17/2003 09:20 AM