Re: [nv-l] how to use trapgend to capture AIX error log message

To: junior@ssss.gouv.qc.ca
Subject: Re: [nv-l] how to use trapgend to capture AIX error log message
From: JamesHorwath@glic.com
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 09:36:19 -0400
Cc: "Nv-L (E-mail)" <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Pierre,

Piece of cake, I just completed this same task.  With NetView you are given trapgend to run on any AIX machine. Deploy this to your AIX machines and a good number, but not all messages will be caught by NetView.  You can install this code via smit from your NetView machine.   Alternatively you can install Service  Director and use your NetView machine as the central log host.  This will scrap the errpt log and call IBM when there are hardware problems.  The trapgend solution is excellent, I have found several problems once the code was installed. Hats off to the NetView folks for trapgend.

My only beef is there should a an installp or rpm procedure as an alternate installation method.  I found a bare bones method written by James Shanks of IBM.   Anyway I plan on cobling together a RPM install of the code.

Regards,
Jim

Jim Horwath
Guardian