Re: [nv-l] SNMP polling via MLM

Subject: Re: [nv-l] SNMP polling via MLM
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 19:20:33 +0100
Hi Brian,
The best way (unless your NV is Linux or Windows, in which case it isn't supported) to get MLMs to do data collection is to use the Agent Policy Manager (APM) from the Tools menu or the Tool Palette. The APM has you specify the variables you want and uses SmartSets to define where you want the MLM to collect from. Remember the way that MLM gets customised is by configuring MLM MIB tables that define what the MLM should collect and from where. You must have read/write community access to your MLM to do SNMP SETs to configure the MLM; then it should get on and talk to the end nodes.

The MLM collects data in a number of files - you can configure number and size - also look at the Tools -> MLM Configuration menu to let you customise your MLM with these details. You then need a mechanism for getting the data back to your NetView. The smcollect utility is provided but it uses either rsh or rexec (can't quite remember which) and this may be banned by your firewall guys so you need to think about a way of pulling those files back. Once on the NV box, you can use the smconvert command to integrate them into your /usr/OV/databases/snmpCollect database.

Cheers,
Jane

Brian W Green wrote:

I am trying to get something set using MLM's - can I set an MLM to do data
polling and collection of other devices?  We are trying to get collections
from within a secure network that can only be done with SNMP - I would like
to install an MLM in that network to do the collection, but right now it is
failing - I think it is trying to poll the MIB on the MLM itself since I
cannot see where to tell it to talk to a remote host.

Thanks,

Brian

Brian W. Green
Tivoli Certified Consultant
Consultant
CGI Information Systems and Management Consulting
275 Slater Street, 14th Floor
Ottawa, Ontario
K1P 5H9
(613) 234-2155