RE: [nv-l] Efficiency of snmpd.conf

To: "'nv-l@lists.tivoli.com'" <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>, "'Barr, Scott'" <Scott_Barr@csgsystems.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Efficiency of snmpd.conf
From: "Hill, Channing" <CHill@BBandT.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 14:14:35 -0400
True, but these smart sets are based on hostname, i.e. IP Hostname ~string.  When a node is discovered with a hostname that meets the criteria of the smartset used by snmpd.conf, the proper community string is used. When I implemented 6.0.3 way back when....., I thought that an entry had to be in snmpd.conf before the proper community string would be used, but after testing I was proven wrong.

What would be more efficient for the interaction of netmon and the snmpd.conf file......to have these 4000 nodes in smart sets and then list the smart sets in snmpd.conf or have 4000 individual entries for each node in the snmpd.conf.

Channing Hill
EMS Analyst II
BB&T
(252) 246-3642