Re: [nv-l] TDS and graphs

To: "nv-l@lists.tivoli.com" <nv-l@lists.tivoli.com>
Subject: Re: [nv-l] TDS and graphs
From: "Haibo Yang" <hbyang@sysway.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 10:22:49 +0800
Hello, tivoli:

IBM does not support TDS any more as far as I know. But IBM provide another
solution for business inteligence. It is Tivoli Data Warehouse. For Netview,
there is a Netview Warehouse Enablement Pack, which will enable NV and TDW work
together. But it doesn't work as well as they say on windows 2000 according to
my experience. And really, You need to do a lot of research and find out how to
moidify the sql script which is responsible for OLAP. I know it can be done,
but unfortunately, I don't know how.

Even if you have accomplish all the modification and configuration, Tivoli Data
Warehouse can only provide 8 or 9 reports about the avaiabitily for netwrok
nodes. It is far away from enough. You know, for TIVOLI Mornitoring, there are
more than 200 kinds of report or graphs avaiable, you don't really have to
worry about this there. But, on windows 2000, for netview 7.1.3, things are
totally on the other side of coin.

You are right, it is more like a vicious circle. For my case, the biggest
problem is the data collected by netview on windows 2000. As you know,
snmpcollect can not collect enough data to be grahped.

Have you tried snmpcollect on Linux? Does it work fine for data collecting? I
am considering migrate my netview from Windows 2000 to Linux, because of Data
collecting limitation on windows 2000.

Cordially.

Bruce Yang

hbyang@sysway.com
0086-755-26743243

======= 2003-09-04 17:05:00 您在来信中写道:=======

>1- is there (Netview on Linux) any way to provide information for tds
>Network guides? snmp collected data is working fine for graphs but I
>don't know how to import them in tds... or should I wait for one of the
>next version where netview/Linux will support RIM ?
>
>2- Is there (netview on w2k) any way to graph the historical collected
>data ? apparently it's starting hard and is not so "historical". I have
>to present to my client some graphs with bandwith load and stuff like
>that... I know on Linux it's working fine but we switched to Windows
>because of the #1 issue up here.. apparently I'm in vicious circle... I
>need TDS reports and collected data graphs too
>
>Lucian

>*NOTE*
>This is not an Offical Tivoli Support forum. If you need immediate
>assistance from Tivoli please call the IBM Tivoli Software Group
>help line at 1-800-TIVOLI8(848-6548)

        致
礼!

        Haibo Yang