[nv-l] Re: Technical query - Tivoli NetView

To: Raghunath Krishnamoorthy <k_raghunath@yahoo.com>
Subject: [nv-l] Re: Technical query - Tivoli NetView
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 09:50:39 -0400
Cc: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Delivery-date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 14:59:35 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com

Hello K.Raghunath -

Please direct your questions to the nv-l list, which is where I suspect you got my name in the first place.  My management here at IBM strictly forbids me to take user queries and problems directly.  That is why IBM has a customer support channel.  I am permitted to answer queries on the list if I know the answer but I cannot take user problems off-line.  My job responsibilities do not permit that.  I hope you understand.

That said, I will tell you what I know.  What NetView monitors by default is the availability of nodes in your network.  If you want to know more about what is going on there, then you have to find agents on key devices in the network (agents on routers, servers, and so on) which publish data about what those devices are doing using SNMP.  Then you can obtain that data on a regular basis using snmpCollect, APM, MLM, and other NetView facilities.  But this requires both research and understanding on your part.  You must investigate the agents available in your network, determine what MIBs they support,  and whether the data you seek is available in a MIB.,  And then you must enable the collection and plan for the storage of that data.  It is all up to you.  I do not have any details on how to obtain the traffic data you asked about.

I have sent this reply also to the nv-l list (nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com)  I suggest that you subscribe there so that other user might advise you about the solutions they have come up with.  To do so, send an e-mail containing just "subscribe nv-l" in the body to Majordomo@lists.us.ibm.com

Regards

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Raghunath Krishnamoorthy <k_raghunath@yahoo.com>

10/01/2003 05:15 AM