Re: [nv-l] MIB 2 TRAP

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] MIB 2 TRAP
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 15:39:47 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 20:49:06 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com

It's not always simple.  But this one is, and it is already done, isn't it?

Since this trap does not say "No FMT found" you already have a definition for it.
The enterprise is already given in the message and you have seen that it is Microsoft, (1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.1.3.1.1) so that should be enough for you to find it in trapd.conf.   Notice also that the message  says this is the coldStart trap and that it has 0 arguments.
Well, in SNMP there are five standard traps,
0 coldStart
1 warmStart
2 LinkUP
3 LinkDown
4 Authentication Failure
5 EGP Neighbor Loss

The seventh category, 6, is vendor specific.  But this isn't one of those.  It is a coldStart.

So what you have here is generic trap 0 sent by enterprise 1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.1.3.1.1 or Microsoft, which is the trap you get every time the SNMP agent is restarted.   It has no variables.   You can go into trapd.conf and change the format if you want to, but that's all the info there is to get.

As for other traps from Microsoft or someone else, I recommend you go look for a source of MIBs.  If the vendor didn't give you any, try
http://mibdepot.com/ . For Cisco, I recommend you get them directly from  ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/mibs/   No id or password is required.

When you do get a "No FMT found" message it will tell you everything that is in the trap, including the generic and specific id values and the number and contents of all the variables sent.  From that you go to the vendor's website or other source of MIBs and try to locate that specific id in TRAP_TYPE or NOTIFICATION-TYPE statement in a MIB.

HTH

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Bursik, Scott {PBSG}" <Scott.Bursik@pbsg.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l-digest@lists.us.ibm.com

10/13/2003 01:59 PM